Title: Senior Staff Accountant
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Supervises: Staff Accountant
Collaborates with: Friedman LLC and with EisnerAmper
Encore Series, Inc., d/b/a The Philly POPS, a Philadelphia-based non-profit, is looking for an experienced finance specialist to be an integral part of the finance staff and to partner in the internal accounting efforts.
The Senior Staff Accountant will collaborate in the development and enhancement of systems and internal controls for maximum efficiency and has responsibility for the accounting operations of the company, to include capability in preparing the monthly reconciliations, the month-end close, financial reporting, account analysis/reconciliation, and assisting with annual audits. The Senior Staff Accountant will establish and main positive working relationships, both internally and externally, in every way working to achieve the goals of the department and the organization.
This position would oversee the accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, payroll, the central file management system including annual archiving of finance records. This position will work cooperatively and effectively with all departments to assist with all fiscal processes. The overall effectiveness and performance of the Senior Staff Accountant will be evaluated in the usual 90-day and annual evaluation processes or by request of the employee.
Monthly Close and Annual Audits
• Post journal entries and reconciliations
• Review general ledger and financial statements on a monthly basis and provide analysis as needed
• Assist with year-end audit and preparation of financial statements in accordance with GAAP
• Mange the payroll provider, currently Paychex, and assist as needed in the preparation of all bi-weekly administration and periodic orchestra payrolls
• Utilize the CBA and various other AFM documents in preparing musician payroll
• Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
• Process cash and checks from the various departments, preparing bank deposits and updating the database
• Collaborate in the daily TSYS/CRM reporting ensuring the alignment of QuickBooks with the credit card processor and ticketing database
• Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
• Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
• Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
• Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
• Maintain the chart of accounts
• Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
• Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
• Issue timely and complete financial statements
• Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report
• Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts, working with the Chief Operating Officer to manage the budget process, overall budget compliance, and reprojection protocols as they become necessary for both revenue and expenses
• Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
• Assist in the preparation of Federal and State information and tax returns including the IRS Form 990, State registrations for solicitation of contributions, Sale Tax Exemption applications, and government census reports
• Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
• Collaborate in the development and implementation of internal controls and accounting policies and procedures
• Other duties as may be assigned. May require some evening and weekend work
The Senior Staff Accountant candidate is required to have a two-year certificate in accounting; a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration is preferred. At least five years of progressively responsible experience, at least some in the nonprofit sector is required. Currency with ongoing advances in applicable software and previous experience with forward-facing digital systems for financial monitoring and approval processes are a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience. Benefits include company-sponsored health insurance, paid holidays, paid vacations, paid comp days as scheduled, and eligibility to participate in company’s 401K retirement program.
**All those interested should submit and cover letter, resume and requirements to Karen Corbin, Chief Operating Office, email@example.com. No phone calls.**